The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is widely regarded as the accepted authority on the English language. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words from across the English-speaking world.
The Licensed Works may be used by Authorized users of the Licensee:
- an individual who is authorised by the Licensee to access the Licensee's information services available through the Licensee's Secure Network and who is affiliated with the Licensee
- as a current student, faculty, researcher, library patron or employee
- walk-in-users: individual members of the public permitted to use the library or information services
The Licensed Works may be used for Educational purposes (for the purpose of education, teaching, distance learning, private study and/or research)
Authorised Users may:
- Search, view, retrieve, and display portions of the Licensed Works
- electronically save portions of the Licensed Works
- print out single copies of portions of the Licensed Works
- provide single printed or electronic copies of portions of the Licensed Works to other individual Authorised Users at the request thereof
- e-mail portions of the Licensed Works to third parties using the functionality provided by the Licensed Work where applicable
- incorporate portions of the Licensed Works in printed or electronic course packs for the use of other Authorised Users in the course of instruction at the Licensee institution. Each such item shall carry appropriate acknowledgement of the source, listing title and author of extract, title and author of work, and publisher. Copies of such items shall be deleted by the party making the course packs when they are no longer required for such purpose.
- display, save electronically, print and distribute the Licensed Works including trademarks, logos and screenshots to Authorised Users for the purpose of promotion or testing or for training Authorised Users
- in respect of Authorised Users who are library personnel, such Authorised Users may use the Licensed Works for internal business purposes such as a source for checking facts in their own library's index of bibliographic descriptions and to fill in missing information subject always to any specific restrictions appearing within a Licensed Work in respect of illustrations in that Licensed Work.
- remove or alter Licensor's copyright notices or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear in the Licensed Works
- systematically make printed or electronic copies of multiple extracts of the Licensed Works for any purpose
- display or distribute any part of the Licensed Works on any electronic network, including without limitation the Internet and the World Wide Web, other than a Secure Network
- permit anyone other than Authorised Users to access or use the Licensed Works
- use all or any part of the Licensed Works for any Commercial Use.
Authorised users (student, faculty, researcher, library patron or employee) who have been given passwords to Licensee's secure network are allowed remote access to the Licensed Works by logging into the secure network.